This month’s expense report is posted late because I’ve been on vacation for a good portion of August and September.
But hey, I’m posting it right now! Better late than never, right? 😉
So what happened in August?
Well, let’s just say that August flew by so quickly.
I went to Ontario to check up on my latest rental property while checking out some other potential properties to buy. Then I went to a friend’s wedding to celebrate their big day with them!
On top of that, it was also my dog Bear and I’s birthday month so we spoiled ourselves a bit.
Using the Cash Envelope System
This month I’ve started using the cash envelope system. Generally, I don’t like to carry cash around and can easily stay on a budget using just credit cards to keep track of my expenses.
But ever since I started budgeting with my husband, we’ve been going over budget every single month!
I think this is what happens when you’re trying to budget with someone who has never done it before.
After using this system for a month, I have to say that I’m quite impressed by the result.
My husband and I were both more aware of what we were spending.
Maybe it’s just me but I feel like when you use cash to pay for something – it hurts more.
It’s more of a mental thing I must say. 😛
Then again, we just started using this method, so we’ll try it for a couple more months to see how it goes.
Missing our flight to Ontario
Although I work remotely in Vancouver, my office is actually in Toronto and some of my properties are situated in Southern Ontario.
None of us is a morning person and for this trip, our flight was at 6 am. What were we thinking!
The flight was on a Saturday but both of us were still super tired from work the day before. So we both slept in and woke up 2 hours after our flight has already taken off…. 🙁
The outcome of this was catastrophic.
We had to pay extra to get on the next flight and on top of that, we had to pay extra since we were arriving after hours at our rental car company.
Lessons learned, lessons learned….
Categories that we went over budget
I removed the “Pet Care” categories and merged it into the “Miscellaneous” category. Now that I’m using the cash envelope system, I’ve found it to be too tedious to keep up with so many different categories and envelopes.
Restaurants / Eating Out
Went over budget, but compared to previous months, it’s actually not that bad. I’m pretty happy with this.
Utilities (Hydro only)
A few cents over our monthly budget. Gotta light up those tea lights more often… Kidding…. 😛
We bought a new bag of dog food for Bear. Both him and I bought some small birthday gifts for ourselves too.
August 2017 Expenses Breakdown
August 2017 Goals
- Complete Machine Learning course. DONE.
- Start using the Cash Envelope System and stay on budget. DONE. This is the first time that we managed to stay under budget ever since we started budgeting as a couple! We’ll definitely be using this method in the future.
- Visit one new place. DONE. Visited a new city in Ontario as a part of my business trip.
- Stay on a budget on ON trip. FAIL. We were doing pretty well until we missed our flight. Sigh… The good news is that the ON trip budget money was set aside a few months back along with some buffer so it didn’t eat into this month’s budget.
- Write two informative posts. FAIL. Too many things going on this month. Need to prioritize better!