The first half of the year of 2017 has been pretty busy. From completing the latest rental property (my primary residence for now) to planning my wedding and getting married in May.
As hectic as it was, I’m glad to say that you can officially call me a Missus. 🙂
I’ll admit – I’ve been super lazy to blog. It’s almost like I had a rush of things to say right before 2016 ended. Then suddenly, I stopped.
But hey! Life happens – what can we do!? 😛
So as a way to get myself back on the blogging train, this is my first monthly expense report that I’ll be posting.
I was inspired by Krystal at givemebackmyfivebucks.com and wanted to try this out myself. Keeping my expenses publicly will help me keep myself accountable to stay within my budget and goals.
Creating a budget as a married couple
June was the first month that my hubby (Let’s call him Mr. M) and I created a monthly budget together.
However, we failed miserably on our first attempt and went over budget at about $600! 🙁 Mostly on groceries and eating out.
Don’t get me wrong – I’m usually pretty good at budgeting. But, Mr. M is a tall guy and is about twice my size so getting used to budgeting with him was definitely the game changer.
Categories that we went over budget
Restaurants / Groceries
This month I miscalculated the amount of groceries and restaurant trips that we had. Hmmm… Junk foods 😉 On top of that, we had people over at our place so we bought extra food to keep them entertained and full.
Mr. M made several calls to the city for work so his daytime minutes went over drastically. We have now changed his plan to an unlimited plan with no extra cost! Yay 🙂 As for me, I went over my data plan because I accidentally left my phone casting and streaming some youtube videos. All. Night. Long. Ugh.
We’ve been on a prowl for a microwave for our new place. For a few months, we would look online for one but thought they were overpriced. A few weeks ago, we saw the one that we’ve been eyeing for a while finally went on sale. We snatched it before we can say the word “microwave”. 😛
June 2017 Expenses Breakdown
June 2017 Goals
- Send out Thank You cards for all our wedding guests. DONE. This was the last thing we needed to do as a part of our wedding planning. We wanted to write a personalized message for each of our guest. It took a really long time to write all of them but it was worth it. 🙂
- Sort through and organize our wedding pictures into a shareable link. DONE. There were almost 2000 pictures to go through. The struggle is real.
- Send music to our videographers for our wedding film. DONE. Went through too many songs and finally picked one. A thousand years by Cristina Perri.
- Achieve financial goals for an emergency fund for my rental properties. DONE. Despite having an almost 200 people wedding this year, I have been saving for an emergency fund on the side. I’m not going to disclose the amount that I saved up for. But the rule of thumb I’ve learned from other people is to save 6-12 months worth of expenses for those super rainy days.
- Complete Week 1 and 2 of the machine learning course. DONE. Okay, this course is pretty intense especially when this is my first time doing any work on machine learning. I spent a few more hours than expected trying to figure out the quizzes and programming homework.
- Finalizing insurance. Nope, not even close. The more information we got, the more confused we got. No worries though, we’ll figure this out by the end of July. Hopefully. 😛